|DONATION OF THE PRIVATE COLLECTION TO THE COMMUNITY OF MILIES - ESTABLISHMENT OF THE MUNICIPAL LOCAL MUSEUM
The donator Helen Fay Stamati has been appointed Honorary Director of the Museum, responsible for all educational and exhibition activities.
In 1987, answering the request of the Community of Milies, the exhibits of the Private Collection are donated to the Community, in order to establish a Local Museum. Enriched with additional exhibits, the collection is since then permanently housed on the first floor of the Community building a traditional Pelion mansion next to the main square.
The study, design and presentation of the Local Museum in the new exhibition area was undertaken by the donators.
Browse the entirety of the pictures of this division
Presentation of the exhibits of the Local Museum of Milies, Mount-Pelion
excavated in the nearby village of Corope. The visitor then follows the development of the village in the years of Turkish occupation, stressing on local architecture and icon-paintings of churches and monasteries. Information on the famous School of Milies, established in 1814, is also available along with details concerning the three renowned local men of letters Ghazis, Constantas and Philippides. One of the panels is dedicated to the local Pelion train connecting in 1904 Milies with Volos, others focus on the local Pelion costumes, weavings and embroideries.
The restricted exhibition space imposed the use of thematic panels that remind one of the pages of a large-size illustrated book with relative texts, a great number of photographs and objects that provide a wider range of information on each subject.
At the Museum` s entrance stands a replica of the banner of the Greek Revolution against the Turkish rule raised in Milies in 1821 and next to it, the chart of Greece printed in Vienna in that same period.
Entering the premises the first panels deal with the mythology of Mount Pelion and with reference to the ruins of a temple dedicated to Apollo
Visitors also find data on the early 20th century flourishing period in Milies, on the burning of the village by the German army in 1943 and the great destructions of the area due to the earthquakes of 1955.
preparing trachana and fresh tomato preserve, home-made sweets and liqueurs.
The Museum presents aspects of the daily life of the inhabitants, bringing visitors closer to local crafts and traditions. The icon-painter` s art, the pack-saddler` s and the farrier` s craft, that of the blacksmith and the tinsmith, the wood carver and the stone cutter, each have a panel of their own. Details on olives and olive oil, wine and tsipouro are also recorded.
Panels also show the daily chores of the Miliote housewife, baking bread,
Guided tour in the Museum
The attendant in charge of the Museum guides Greek visitors and groups of schoolchildren.
Informative leaflets in English and a 20-minute recorded guided tour are available in English, French and German.
Educational worksheets for children available in Greek
Contacting children has been from the start a major aim of the Museum and its Director. As a result, 9 different worksheets are available in the Museum, offering children the possibility to interact and enjoy their visit as a fascinating, creative experience.
The Mythology of Mount Pelion – The history of Milies – Local architecture – Pelion weaving - Olives and olive-oil – Home-made bread – Lanterns and oilcans – Horseshoes – The packsaddle.
Museum-kits on loan
Collaborating with schools and school teachers has been one of the main aims of the Milies Local Museum. Reaching out to them, the Museum has studied and made available since 1990 Museum-kits – mobile educational programmes – on everyday life in the village.
Nationwide Children`s Art Contest
The contest was first launched in 1987 in order to promote the Milies Museum, inducing children and grown-ups to visit the village and become acquainted with its cultural heritage.
As children` s participations rapidly increased, it soon became obvious that the Local Museum was unable to continue organizing this complex activity.
In 1991, the project was undertaken by the Friends of the Museum who kept the contest running as an annual event with relative exhibitions of selected artwork presented at the Cycladic Art Museum in Athens, at the International Museum of Children` s Art in Oslo, at the Children` s Museum of Manhattan, New York and in London.
The success of each contest and exhibition induced the Friends to consider creating in Greece a Museum dedicated exclusively to children` s art. Inaugurated in 1994, in Athens, the Museum of Greek Children` s Art aims to preserve, study and promote the art of children, developing children` s aesthetics and creativity.
Artwork from contests originally launched by the Milies Museum were granted to the newly established Museum of Greek Children`s Art to be part of its permanent collections.
Apart from the permanent display of its exhibits, the Museum has studied, designed and presented in areas beyond the Museum walls, a number of temporary exhibitions.
Exhibition on the Protection of the Environment
Designed in 1991, the exhibition is on display annually in Milies during the summer months along with a relevant educational worksheet and creative activity workshops for children.
Exhibition concerning the local Train of Mount Pelion
With the local train back in service in 1996, the Museum organized a relevant exhibition housed since 2005 at the terminal building of the Milies railway station.
Exhibition presenting Milies at the end of the 20th century
Designed and organized to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Museum, the exhibition highlights the recent history of the village, the development of local traditional life, crafts and workshops that no longer exist or are gradually being abandoned.
The Museum today
The Local Museum of Milies, remains one the country` s smallest museums, it can, however, boast of many educational activities and exhibitions, that render it a dynamic institution.
In the course of 30 years of uninterrupted operation, open to the public all year round, the Museum is a point of reference for the village, attracting many visitors of all ages, from Greece and abroad, preserving, presenting and promoting the local cultural heritage.
Info : Tel.:24230 86602 . In charge : Eleni Lalia